Sunday, June 27, 2010

Soda.....my favorite vice

SODA: This is my favorite of all my vices. The small aluminum can that shines forth red and gold caffeine free colors, bringing to me a familiar sound to my ear, smell to my nose and taste in my mouth. Especially during the summer time, which was the one time memories are filled with the enjoyable refreshment of Soda. O' to once again taste the greatness of that old familiar drink. Well, I did have one last night. I am trying to cut down on Soda, one particular brand but need not mention. I love it.

At least, I think I love it. I have put myself on a schedule (with the huge umption from my husband) to limit my drinks on shabbat only. That is Friday night to Saturday night. I remember my husband was in Echocardiography school, my mind draws a blank on the official name, but he studied and studied throughout the week but when shabbat came he didn't. He spent that time with me and at the time our daughter. I remember thinking at the end of the school that because he took the shabbat's off that God blessed him. I am hoping the God will do the same for me.

I know that is probably strange thinking but I believe will be the secret to my success.

I did okay on no soda this week I think. I drank tea, milk, coffee, and water. I have been questioning to my self the last few months, why? Why do I eat or drink the things I do. Why do I linger in this relationship? Why does this thing called food/drink have such a hold on me? I rack my mind to think of what it does for me and what I truly get out of it. I am afraid to right this down, which might make it real, but I don't think I get anything out of it anymore. Nothing is special anymore. Nothing becomes a true treat when you eat what you want all the time any time. I want that back. I want a treat. I want to be able to say "wow, I haven't had a soda in a long time, or a piece of chocolate" I want control back in my life. Does anyone else feel this way?

I honestly haven't prayed within the last week for God to help me in this struggle. That is my loss, but all I could really cry out was "Yeshua - Jesus" holding on to the scripture that all who call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. I know that it means salvation from sin, but I take it deep in my heart now to mean that he will save me from my self and save me from this dreadful challenge.


The hope is that if I can make it today, which I am, I can do it tomorrow. One step at a time, one breathe at a time and one prayer at a time. God answers them, I just have to be steadfast.

2 comments:

  1. I think i might understand what your saying. for a long while i had a great struggle when it came to food. its not as bad as it used to be but occasionally that part of me come out. mostly when i eat food i love like fig newtons and pizza. sometimes i cant stop myself all i am thinking about is having that taste once more. not sure if that helps you in anyway. lol just thought i'd let you know your not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you are saying. I had a similar vice. It was OREO cookies. I used to be able to sit down and eat an entire sleeve of cookies with a tall glass of milk and think nothing of it. 6 years of that thinking left me sluggish, and heavy. I joined weight watchers over a year ago and lost some of that weight. But I did learn that it fine to have a treat once in awhile. I do keep OREOS in the house, but now, I treat myself once in awhile with just 3 cookies and find that I am just as satisfied.

    Keep up the great work, Vickie! I can tell through your blog that your mindset is changing about what you are putting in your body, and that with these little steps, you are changing. :)

    ReplyDelete